Tuesday 1 February 2011

Music makes the world go round...

aladdin 1


We're taking a break from my Sketchbook pages this post so I can show you my latest swap piece!

The theme for the December
Phat Quarter Swap was Music. Immediately I thought of David Bowie's Aladdin Sane album cover. I have wanted to experiment with pencil tinting in my work and the use of finer stitches, so this was the perfect opportunity.

I used no more than three strands of floss on this piece, and that was only for the metallic threads on the lightning bolt. The outlines were done using two strands and the hair and eyelashes used only one. I used backstitch, satin stitch and brick stitch on this piece. I like the simplicity of it and really liked the way the coloured pencils came out. I'm going to use this technique more in the future for sure!

Work In Progress Shots:

aladdin 2
Pencil Tinting

aladdin 3
One strand of floss for the eyelashes

aladdin 4
Finished hair

aladdin 5_1
Metallic threads for the lightning bolt

aladdin 6_1
Satin stitch for the title

This piece went to Giggly Mama and I think she really liked it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment