Sunday 5 December 2010

Exhibition Report: Scaasi: American Couturier

scaasi 1_1


The second exhibition I went to see at the Muesum of Fine Arts, Boston was Scaasi: American Couturier. This small exhibit showcases the designer’s made to measure work through four of his clients, including Barbra Striesand.

scaasi 2


I am ashamed to say I had not heard of Scaasi before, however several of his pieces were recognisable. His use of fabrics really caught my eye. He was not afraid to use bold colours or textures in his work. Several of his pieces from the 1980s oppitimised the time and styles of the period. His pieces for Barbra Striesand emphasised her character and quirkiness while still being elegant and stylish. Scaasi was also not afraid to use new materials of the time. Several of his dresses display plastic beading and metallic lace.

scaasi 3


Though there were few pieces in this exhibit I enjoyed it immensely. I have discovered a new designer that I must research further. His combinations of fabrics and trims were inspired and I am a particular fan of his bold use of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment