Thursday 12 August 2010

Ooh, That's Sublime!

Sublime Stitching 1


Jenny Hart’s website,
Sublime Stitching is having a contest called the Combo Contest. The object is to combine three of her patterns in an interesting way and produce an embroidered piece.

I have always liked Jenny’s designs and have both of her books, but have not had an opportunity to use them. This was the perfect time! Now, my embroidered piece may not be the most innovative, but it will be the springboard for something much bigger.

I chose to use the patterns Country Cool, Pinups by Gil Elvgrin and the book Embroidered Effects. I chose a cowgirl, a sailor pinup and the feather girl from the book (which I have wanted to stitch for a long time). I put them together on a 20" by 20" square with the quote ‘Well-behaved women rarely make history’. Each woman represents an aspect of myself.

Sublime Stitching 2


The sailor pinup represents my love of nature and water and that I have been working on the sea for almost 4 years.

Sublime Stitching 3


The feather girl represents my showgirl side, the entertainment industry that I work in and love, and the extrovert in me.

Sublime Stitching 4


Finally, the cowgirl represents my hardworking side and my confidence.

I have decided to use this piece as the central square of an embroidered quilt that I plan to make. I need to create 20 more 10” by 10” squares all around the theme ‘Feminist Statement’. I want it to show the women and words that have influenced me throughout my life… so keep an eye out for the squares as I make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment