Thursday 7 July 2011

Columbia, 2008

columbia 1

I made this piece while on Rosie James' machine embroidery workshop.

columbia 5
Watched By The Lady (2008)

I started with this photo that I took on my travels in 2008. I then used machine embroidery techniques from the class to reproduce it.

Columbia 2

The Lady was transferred to metallic organza and free machine embroidered with black thread.

Columbia 3

The grate was sewn from the back of the piece with wool in the bobbin of the machine to give the raised effect. The figures were cut out of bondaweb applied to lining fabric and attached over the top.

Columbia 4

The flowers were not part of my original design. I needed to make the piece bigger for the canvas I had and found the floral backing. When I placed the whole piece on top it just happened to fall with the yellow square over the flower. I decided to embroider over the top to incorporate it into my design.

I'm a big fan of these techniques now so expect to see more work like this from me - thanks Rosie!

No comments:

Post a Comment