Saturday 2 July 2011

Fancy Shisha Tutorial!

Tutorial photo 21


I decided to give you guys a tutorial for some mirror work. I originally learned this stitch from
this blog post. I used the instructions on that post as a basis and kinda did it my way. So I thought I’d show you how I do it.

Fancy Shisha Stitch:

Tutorial photo 1

1
I used a large sequin for this but a mirror can be used as well. I glued the sequin down before I began just so it doesn’t move around while I’m trying to work. I used a simple glue stick for this. The stitches will eventually hold it in place. I used stranded cotton but used all six strands. Bring the needle up at the bottom of your sequin.

Tutorial photo 2

2
We are going to create foundation stitches. Take the needle down at the top of the sequin directly above where you brought the needle through.

Tutorial photo 3

3
Make the second foundation stitch horizontally creating an cross over the sequin. Try to make this as even as possible, it will help later.

Tutorial photo 4


4
The final two foundation stitches create an ‘x’ over the top of the other two. Again, try to make these as even as possible.


Tutorial photo 5

5
Now we begin the decorative stitch. I always start at the top. Bring the needle up to the left of the spoke.


Tutorial photo 6

6
Go back down on the right of the spoke making a very small stitch along the edge of the sequin


Tutorial photo 7

7
Bring the needle back up on the left of the spoke and the stitch


Tutorial photo 8

8
Pass the needle under the spoke right to left. Pull thread tight


Tutorial photo 9

9
Take the needle down on the right of the spoke as close as possible to the beginning stitch


Tutorial photo 10

10
Bright the needle back up to the front right next to the last stitch – don’t do it too close as it will undo the original stitch but close enough that there isn’t a gap.


Tutorial photo 11

11
Put the needle under the spoke left to right this time, pull the thread tight.


Tutorial photo 12

12
Take the needle down on the left of the spoke as close as possible to the beginning stitch


Tutorial photo 13

13
Bring the needle back up to the front right next to the last stitch – don’t do it too close as it will undo the original stitch but close enough that there isn’t a gap


Tutorial photo 14

14
Repeat steps 8-13 twice more so you create a filled in V shape around your spoke


Tutorial photo 15

15
If you followed the steps right to the end your thread should be on the left of the spoke and V…


Tutorial photo 16

16
Now wrap the thread around the rest of the spoke by taking your needle under the spoke right to left, wrapping about 4 times until you get to the middle of the foundation stitches.


Tutorial photo 17

17
Once at the middle take the needle under the spoke to the left from right to left.


Tutorial photo 18

18
Wrap the thread down the spoke as before, taking the needle under the spoke right to left until you reach the edge of the sequin. Secure the thread by taking the needle down through the fabric on the right side of the spoke really close to the point the spoke comes up through the fabric.


Tutorial photo 19

19
Now you will make the V shape on this spoke by following steps 5-14. When you finish this V shape you may want to secure your thread and begin a new piece, that’s what I do!


Tutorial photo 21

20
Follow steps 5-19 three more times until you have filled the last 6 spokes – and you’re done! Pretty huh?!

I hope these instructions make sense and are helpful! Leave me a comment with any questions or comments – they are much appreciated

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great tutorial, I have just followed your instructions to work a shisha sample for my City and Guilds, a big big thanks. x

    ReplyDelete