Friday 17 June 2011

God Save The Queen

Elizabeth 3


I just finished another quilt square for my Feminist Statement quilt.

I wanted to include famous women on the quilt who have influenced me, the first being Elizabeth I. She was one of Britain's most successful monarchs and she always followed her own mind.

Elizabeth 1


For this square I used printable fabric to include the very famous portrait of Elizabeth I by Marcus Gheeraerts. I then added a blackwork border in keeping with the period. I used a traditional blackwork pattern but had to work out how to turn the corner, which was interesting as I haven't done counted embroidery in quite some time!

Elizabeth 2


I attached the border around the portrait with gold machine embroidery and then added hand embroidered tudor roses on the corners. I embroidered the roses on stitch and tear so they are slightly raised yet still part of the piece.

Elizabeth 5

Elizabeth 6


I'm quite proud of this square as it uses some techniques that I haven't used in quite a while and stretched my skills. I really enjoyed doing the blackwork and might have to do some more in the future.

Elizabeth 4

No comments:

Post a Comment