Sunday 23 May 2010

Zen

Zen 1


This is an embroidery piece I made for the Phat Quarter swap on Flickr. I can now show you photos of it as my swap partner received it and loved it!!

I have just discovered shadow quilting and wanted to use layers in this piece. It is made of three layers – the bottom layer is white cotton with a beige spiral pattern based on Zen gardens made from patterned sand. I used a split stitch for this.


zen 2


The middle layer is white crushed organdy that is shot with rainbow colours. This layer has the Buddha’s halo on it. I used whipped split stitch and whipped backstitch to give colour and texture to the piece.

zen 3


The final layer is on blue tulle, which had widely spaced rhinestones attached to it. I arranged my Buddha around one of these rhinestones to represent his third eye. I used a simple, thin backstitch to represent the Buddha for good definition. I then sewed all three layers together with a blanket stitch around the edge. I wanted the piece to be self-contained but it could be framed as well.

zen 4


I really like the way it came out. Vegkat, who got my piece took some great photos of it in the daylight – thanks love!

zen 5

You can see more process photos of this piece on my Flickr photostream here

No comments:

Post a Comment